Advice 1: How to know your nationality

Situation when people do not know their nationality, are quite rare, but are the place to be. First of all, stateless inevitably can become citizens of States that have altered their boundaries, for example, due to the hostilities, as well as in the event of dissolution of the state unit.
How to know your nationality
Start with your own documents. Look at the birth certificate and passport if available. Please note that you have specified the nationality in the documents matches the name of the place of birth, true credentials. The main thing - look, not over whether the validity of the passport, isn't it time to change it.
Make a request to the migration service of the country in which you live now. Of course, if you have a valid passport of the existing state, then no problems should arise. You are his citizen. However, if you have a passport of a country that is no longer on the map, for example, only the Soviet passport, citizenship will have to confirm. The easiest way is to find documents that, as of February 2, 1992, you had a registration on the territory of modern Russia.
In theory you can make a request to the migration service about the replacement passport of a non-existent country on the international passport of the country in which you currently live. Refer to the FMS at the place of residence with your existing documents, including, for example, the house book, card registration, etc. If Agency staff determines that the grounds for obtaining a citizenship is not enough, you should advise that you need to do to get citizenship. You may be able to obtain a passport under the simplified scheme.
Make a request to the migration service of the country in which you were born or lived before moving abroad. Perhaps you can exchange your current passport for a passport of his native country. Of course, you would then have to make a choice – to go Home or stay on the rights of the migrant. But, in any case, to be a citizen of a foreign state in legal terms, more profitable than to be a stateless person.
Find out your nationality by circumstantial evidence. In most countries there is a right of blood or right of the territory. For example, if your parents are citizens of the Russian Federation, and you were born in another country, then you can apply for citizenship of Russia. Or, if you, for example, legally born in the U.S., you can apply for citizenship of the United States.
The nationality of minor children in the Russian Federation, confirmed by appropriate stamp on the reverse side of birth certificate (up to 2002 - insert)

Advice 2 : How to check citizenship

As a General rule, established by the legislation of the Russian Federation, evidence of the presence of the Russian citizenship or citizenship of another country, is the Russian passport or the passport of the citizen of another country, and besides, any official documents stating citizenship.
How to check citizenship
In practice, the presence of instructions in the passport is often not fully can testify to citizenship. Thus, according to 2010 migration service of the Russian Federation was found about sixty five thousand people with Russian passport, but do not have Russian citizenship. All passports were seized, and their owners in court had to prove citizenship.
Citizenship verification usually does not cause problems, however, in the presence of the passport questioned its authenticity or the authenticity of these data on citizenship.
To check the citizenship of Russia upon a written statement of the particular person whose nationality is verified, or at the request of the state authority in territorial body of migratory service of the Russian Federation at the last place of human habitation. If the person changed their passport details, citizenship verification will be carried out for all data (original and modified).
Check the citizenship of another country or dual citizenship can also be carried out in the territorial authority of the migration service, or directly at the Consulate or representative office of a foreign state on the territory of Russia.
There may have to pay state duty or a consular fee.
It should be borne in mind that almost all the consulates and representative offices of foreign States on the territory of Russia will be in any case to check the citizenship of the Russian Federation when:
• an expired or lost passport, and the original internal passport;

• the child who is issued a Russian passport, no proof of citizenship (usually a documentary).

This will be charged a consular fee established in each Consulate and mission at their own discretion.
Is the advice useful?