Of some Nations, the tomb of the imposed sacrifice consumed after food. Other practices read about holding the burial feasts (military fun). This tradition was common among the Slavic and Germanic tribes, the ancient Greeks. In other places, the deceased accompanied the funeral procession and crying.
We have spread the Christian custom of holding a Wake. According to the Orthodox Canon of conduct funerals have three times: the day of the funeral, on the ninth day and the fortieth. They are in a funeral Banquet. The same custom exists in many religions. The meaning of this ritual is very deep. Believing in the immortality of the soul, people celebrate the approach of the deceased towards God, while simultaneously paying tribute to him as a good man. No wonder adopted or speaking of the dead well, or not at all to say.
In the process of commemoration included prayers have departed from this world man. In General, all actions on such rituals have deep meaning, even the menu the meal selection is not accidental.
So how do you properly hold a Wake?
- Before the meal, it is necessary to read the prayer "Our father". The minimum that is needed, as it is desirable to make the litany and singing the 90th Psalm (invite the so-called "singing"). In the process of commemoration is necessary to remember the deceased, and only his positive qualities and actions that are prohibited profanity, laughter, jokes, drunkenness.
- Menu it is undesirable to do intense. On the contrary – a necessary modesty and simplicity, as the abundance of dishes is not beneficial to the process of the ritual. The first course, which is necessary, is the so-called kutya - a porridge made from whole grains of millet, or rice, seasoned with honey and raisins. Moreover, it should be sprinkled with Holy water, or to bless during the service. Kutia is a symbol of eternal life in Christ.
- Especially strictly necessary to approach to drawing up menus during Easter, as it must be limited in food. And in the Wake are not for the feast, and as the occasion to remember the deceased.
- When you get a Wake a week during lent, they should be postponed until the weekend because these days post the most restrictive.
- Men at the funeral should be with their heads uncovered – women are the opposite. The commemoration of the day of the funeral is available to all attendees, as it is a time of farewell with the deceased. On the ninth day the relatives of the deceased. And on the fortieth everyone to remember the dead.