If the tomatoes are "getting fat" - have constantly twisted leaves, thickened stems, there is a rapid growth of laterals and leaves in dark green, then from such plants of the crop will have to wait a long time. It is therefore necessary to take measures in time to save the future of the crop, identifying the causes that cause "greasing".
Why tomatoes "getting fat"?
- The most common cause "fattening" of tomatoes is overfeeding the plants with nitrogen fertilizer, causing plants to increase the green mass at the expense of fruit formation.
- Frequent watering in the first 2-3 weeks after planting can damage the formation of the root system, helping it surface growth. This reduces the resistance of tomatoes to external conditions.
- The excess of manure and frequent fertilizing during the growing season can cause "fattening". Tomatoes for underfeeding is better than overfeeding.
- Increased growth of the shrub is also of frequent watering during the entire vegetation period, because this causes excessive humidity.
- One of the factors may be too dense planting and, as a consequence, the lack of light.
What to do?
- To remedy the situation, the tomatoes should be put "on a diet": to stop watering for 7-10 days. If the weather is cool, the greenhouse should close doors and vents to create inside the daytime temperature up to 25 degrees at night to 22. In hot weather the greenhouse, on the contrary, it is necessary to open, it is even possible to remove the frame or to lift the film, if the greenhouse film. To hold additional pollination by shaking the plants.
- To slow down plant growth, it is necessary to feed them with superphosphate - 2-3 tablespoons per 10 liters of water. Showering under a Bush, 1 liter of solution. The same structure can make a foliar fertilizer.
- Sometimes to stop greasing it is possible by removal of two or three large lower leaves. But you need to clean up with a single plant not more than one sheet in 2-3 days.
- If the tops of the flower brush at the time fruit begins to grow a new shoot, you need to do the nipping, leaving no more than 5-7 fruits.
- First potash fertilizing is best done after flowering 5-6 brushes, nitrogenous fertilizer during the growth period are completely excluded. Useful to do foliar feeding with a solution of magnesium and other essential plant micronutrients.