Puffiness, or swelling of the eyelids is, first and foremost, the reason to go to the doctor. Swelling can one eyelid (upper or lower), or both. Swelling of the eyelids can be painful or painless. Painful swelling century associated usually with the infection.
Causes of eyelid swelling:
- fluid retention.
Infection that can cause swelling of the century
- Conjunctivitis. Is an inflammation of the mucous membranes and/or conjunctiva. When inflammation is very clearly expressed symptoms of redness of eyes, severe itching, begins to stand out pus.
- Barley. Disease of the eyelids due to infections in the formation of the eyelashes. Is accompanied by not only pain but also swelling of the entire century. In the absence of treatment may be accompanied by purulent secretions.
- Orbital cellulitis. Acute infection of the tissues of the eyes caused by a stye or insect bite. Accompanied, as a rule, fever and extremely painful sensations in the region of the century. This disease affects the fibrous part of the century. When not treated can have serious complications, such as partial loss of vision or lead to blindness.
- A high level of protein in the urine. Can be a cause of nephrotic syndrome, as a result, swelling of the eyelids.
- Eye herpes. The pathogen can be a common herpes or chickenpox. Formed on the cornea inflammation and scarring.
- Graves ' Disease. It is a hereditary autoimmune disease. The symptoms are swollen, swollen, enlarged eyelids, bulging eyes and double vision.
Painless swelling of the eyelids may be the reason for allergies and excess fluid in the body. The excess can be caused by excessive alcohol consumption or liquids in principle, pregnancy, increased levels of hormones during menstruation. For painful swollen eyelids you must first consult doctor. Self-treatment due to improper diagnosis can lead to serious complications.
With the appearance of a swelling century, first and foremost, abstain from any kind of makeup, whether cream or decorative cosmetics, and also from wearing contact lenses. Apply a sterile gauze bandage to the eye, soaked in clean water. In no case do not RUB the eye.
If the reason for the swelling of the eyelids is an Allergy, the doctor will prescribe you antihistamines, – blockers, such as loratadine. For the treatment of conjunctivitis will be offered drops and ointments.
Refrain from self-use of drugs that can cause increase in eye pressure.
There are numerous causes of swelling of the eyelids, and any of these reasons, it is best to see a doctor. Even with a seemingly simple symptom may be the appearance of something very dangerous like a tumor.
Treatment swelling of the eyelids is almost always held at home, in addition to orbital cellulitis, its treatment should be intravenous by the insertion of antibiotic under medical supervision.