Try to find the participant of the great Patriotic war by name using one of the themed sites, links to which are located below. To start with you can just be here documents and excerpts from various archives with data on dead and missing during the war, and the fate of those who managed to stay alive.
Perform a more detailed search, using a special electronic form. Enter in the appropriate fields name, surname and patronymic of a participant of the second world war. If you are aware of additional information, such as years of service and rank available to the soldiers medals, list them too. Even if the initial searches do not succeed, do not despair. The databases on these sites are updated periodically. In addition, try to look for the information about the person using Internet search engines (Google, Yandex, etc.). Simply enter the name and surname of the veteran, and any additional information to get links to sites with information about it.
You can try to find the participant of the great Patriotic war of 1941-1945 by name using consolidated database "memorial" of the Ministry of defence of the Russian Federation, posted on its website (see link below). There is also a questionnaire to fill in data about the soldier. As a result, you will be able to learn information about the fate of the soldier taken from surviving copies of "Reports of irrecoverable losses". Any obtained data can be useful when conducting further search.
Contact the recruiting office at the place of recruitment of the participant of the great Patriotic war, to find his name and surname. Write a statement requesting information about the soldier, putting your relationship and everything known about it. Then wait for the response from the military Commissariat.
If the search still produced no positive results, contact the Central archive of the Ministry of defense, located in Podolsk. Enough to send an email to companies asking for information about the missing participant of the great Patriotic war. After some time, reply with information about the burial place of the soldier or his current place of residence if the veteran is in good health.
In case of receipt of such answer, as "Died of wounds" or "Died in captivity" without supporting information, you can write a letter to the FSB to request information from the archives either in Military-medical Museum of the defense Ministry, located in St. Petersburg.