Very often owners are faced with various pests that reduce yields. One such pest is the larva of the carrot fly, which significantly reduces the quality and quantity of the total crop.
Carrot fly itself does not eat vegetables, but lays eggs. The larvae are small in size, about 7 mm. a Fly can lay eggs directly to the furrow between the rows of planted carrots, or directly on vegetables.
In order to protect the crop of carrots, the best option is to prevent the emergence of larvae. For these purposes, use different repellent agents. First of all, it is onion peel. The fact is that volatile have a special smell, which is unpleasant to the flies.
Just need to put them between rows of onion peel and it's done. You can spray infusion of onion land. To prevent the deposition of eggs and emergence of larvae it is advisable to use orange peel. Good effect gives the use of mothballs, black pepper.
It is important that this should be done in the spring, or rather, in the month of may. It is known that flies goes hand in hand with cherry blossoms, dandelions. It is advisable to change every year the flower bed for planting carrots, but after 3 – 4 years to return to its original place. It is advisable to plant carrots rare and not fertilize it with manure.
How to destroy the larvae of the carrot fly
In that case, if all the same carrot fly laid larva, the necessary urgent measures. First, in the market there are many insecticides, but using them is dangerous because of contact with carrot. Secondly, the larvae of carrot flies love damp and heavy soil, so watering the carrots often not recommended.
Better to do it rarely, but very heavily. Definitely need to clean the beds of weeds. The larvae begin to go into the ground in autumn, they are located at a depth of 15 – 20 cm If conditions allow, it is possible to fill the garden bed with a clean soil layer of 20 – 25 cm and then the larvae of the carrot fly can't get out and die.
To collect the larvae by hand is not an option, so have to dig the whole bed. Thus, on the basis of the foregoing, it can be concluded that to destroy the larvae of the carrot fly is not so simple. The most effective option is prevention of their appearance and oviposition of flies. The main repellent – this natural repellent: plants and products with a pungent odor.
Advice 2 : Necessary measures to protect from carrot fly
Carrot fly - voracious malicious insect. Particularly annoying in wet warm years. In the garden it damages mainly plants of the Umbelliferae or celery. The most common and cultivated crops is carrots (main crop), parsley, parsnip, celery, dill. So to start protective measures is necessary before sowing.
- The rotation must be respected and try to alternate all the culture of the family.
- To be friends with the onion family (onions, garlic), tomatoes and grow them side by side. His harsh odors such plants have good "knock down" of insects.
- Crops, especially carrots, carried out in early spring time.
- To grow carrots need a Sunny, well-ventilated beds. Carrot fly likes shady and damp places and dense planting.
- Thin out the plants have the appearance of 2-3 leaves, leaving discarded the plants in the garden, so as not to attract carrot fly smell.
- Apply dusting landings, odorous substances and disorient pests other odors. For example, sprinkle the beds several times a week and after rain (irrigation) chopped sage, ground pepper, mustard, a mixture of tobacco, ash. Spray the leaves extracts of onion, garlic, tomatoes. You can use water infusion of liquid smoke.
- After rain and irrigation to loosen and planting mulch coarse river sand or peat.
- To include planting clean, weed weed.
- Use in growing carrots sealing material (spunbond, lutrasil, etc.)
- Removing the crop, it is not necessary to leave plant remains in the beds. Autumn digging of the soil to hold with the turning of the soil to as little as possible was left of the carrot fly larvae in the soil.
Particularly damaged varieties and culture
The most damaged varieties carrot is a Nantes variety, Shantan, having roots juicy and sweet. Varieties of carrots with long roots fly visits less frequently. Growing parsnips, parsley root, daikon should provide for the protection of crops from harmful carrot flies.
The carrot variety that is resistant to damage by the carrot fly
Hybrid bred by breeders with resistance to carrot fly damage - Nantic Resistively F1. This variety is early maturing (80-90 days), completely immersed in soil, sweet, juicy, small core. The length of the root 16-18cm, used in fresh and stored. The leaves contain little of chlorogenic acid, and therefore little to attract females of the carrot fly.