Ultrasound of the prostate: indications
Indications for ultrasound of the prostate are:
- tumors and pathology, which was discovered in the study of the rectum by a proctologist finger method;
- voiding (incomplete liberation of the bladder, urinary retention, etc.);
- the symptoms of kidney failure;
- abnormalities in clinical urine and blood samples.
In addition, due to the frequent cases of cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia people over the age of 50 is recommended (under the following symptoms:
- frequent urination;
- weak pressure jet;
- urinary incontinence;
- feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder;
- straining during the act of urination;
- irregular urination.
To determine ultrasound prostate
Ultrasound of the prostate allows to determine:
- clear boundary contours of the prostate gland;
- the size of the prostate;
- the work of the ejaculatory duct;
- a condition in which prostate tissue;
- whether the normal surrounding tissue.
With the help of ultrasound can identify the following diseases:
- inflammation of the prostate gland (acute prostatitis) and all of its forms;
- chronic inflammation of the prostate gland (chronic prostatitis) and its forms;
- benign prostate hyperplasia;
- malignant and benign tumors of the prostate (prostate cancer, BPH).
How to prepare for ultrasound prostate
Prostate disease can be diagnosed following echographic methods:
- transrectal, where a transducer of the ultrasonic device inserted into the rectum and positioned close to the prostate;
transabdominally, which is scanned at the suprapubic region.
Transrectal method is more effective because it allows to consider in more detail all the changes in the prostate.
Depending on the method of investigation of the preparations for the ultrasound procedure is different. In the first case, you need 2-3 days to stick to a special diet, which prevents the increased gas-formation, occurrence of constipation or diarrhea.
In addition, the evening before the ultrasound procedure and the morning of the study should be done enema. The day of the procedure it is advisable to take food. If it is going to be held closer to the 2nd half of the day, it is desirable to confine light Breakfast.
In the second case, training is much easier. It is to be a procedure with a full bladder. This is because the prostate gland is located at the transition of the bladder to the urethra, so without prior training to see her harder. If between it and the sensor has a fluid-filled space, it facilitates ultrasound and makes it easier to visualize the body.
By the time of the procedure, the filling of the bladder should be moderate. The patient should feel only a mild urge to its evacuation. 1 hour before the test you need to drink 1 liter of fluid.
It is important to correctly calculate the time of the training. In the case that the filling of the bladder will be very weak, the patient will need to suspend the procedure and some time to wait until the kidneys will filter the fluid. If it is too strong, the patient will be uncomfortable to feel the increased urgency, while the moving sensor in the stomach, accompanied by slight pressure.