If a thermometer broke in the first place protect the place, which got mercury, as this metal has the property of spread in the apartment, for example, on the soles of shoes.
Open the window, but be careful to avoid drafts, otherwise the mercury vapor spread quickly in the air. Then start collecting dangerous metal.
Wear rubber gloves and cotton-gauze bandage. Mercury rolled into little balls, so it is most convenient to collect rubber bulb or syringe. If either hand does not, take a piece of tape or a wet sheet of heavy paper and slide it across the balls, they should stick.
In a glass jar, prepare a concentrated solution of potassium permanganate and place the collected mercury and broken thermometer, tightly close the rubber cover.
Call the emergency and report the incident. When you arrive the team of rescuers, pass them along with a jar of rubber gloves, cotton-gauze bandage and the subject was collected mercury. In addition, the responsibilities of the MOE includes the disinfection of the premises where it broke the thermometer.
When disinfection is finished, then take care of your health. A weak solution of potassium permanganate rinse your mouth and throat, brush your teeth and take a few tablets of activated charcoal. Drink plenty of fluids, as mercury education are excreted through the kidneys.
If the thermometer is intact, but inoperable, or simply not in use, is to take one of the special services. As a General rule, organizations implementing the medical equipment, containers for collection of mercury-containing and other hazardous waste. Call the helpdesk your locality and find out whether you have similar organization. If so, contact this organization and ask what day you can come and take a mercury thermometer. If not, please refer to the following paragraph.
Unnecessary the thermometer can be taken at the station level or state pharmacy. These institutions are required by law to take mercury thermometers. All you need to do is come with a thermometer and write the application. If for any reason the specialists refuse to accept, then you should complain to the regional or city Department of health.