So, 10 ways to fail a job interview:
Candidates making this error, fall into two categories: those who call to warn about their possible delay, and those who do not consider it necessary to do so. In the eyes of the employer or his representative, candidates for the first category people educated, familiar with the requirement of business etiquette, do not want to spend other people's time wasted. But they do not know how to plan your day, anticipate the occurrence of certain circumstances, accordingly, their personal efficiency may not be high.
Conclusion: a valid reason for the delay may be only the loss of life or receiving serious bodily harm! Everything else – traffic jams, a prolonged visit to the dentist, the inability to quickly find the address of the employer etc – this is an additional reason not to take this job.
Candidates in the second category, that is, those who came late and were not warned about it beforehand, seen worse. In the eyes of the employer, these people are rude, punctuality, not able to manage my time, not respecting the company and its employees are not interested in obtaining this work.
Conclusion: it is not difficult to do, isn't it? The work of such a candidate is unlikely to succeed, especially if the vacancy is open competition.
2. Inappropriate dress.
Currently clothes is not a defense of the body against environmental influences. This specific language through which we broadcast to the world information about themselves. According to most scientists, the first impression is a 0.7% seconds, and finally formed a 15 -20 seconds. Image created with the help of clothes and accessories, needs to match the position for which you are applying.
What for you is natural and normal, may be perceived negatively by the employer. For example: - You all morning collecting tomatoes on his plot, not have time to change and attend the interview in a holiday outfit. Desired position – sales Manager.
The findings of the employer:
- Candidate very little earning at the same place, he had no money to buy decent clothes; it is not a successful specialist.
- Candidate does not consider it necessary to take care of your appearance, going for an interview: it means that he doesn't appreciate the company and not interested in employment.
- The applicant can be in this form and at meetings with potential clients; it discreditied the company – employer in the eyes of customers.
- You learned from the wardrobe and put all the best and valuable, that managed to acquire in recent years: expensive suit, a mink coat to the floor, a diamond set and a stylish watch. Glad her reflection and went to the interview. Desired position – the seller – consultant in a prestigious furniture fair.
The findings of the employer:
- The applicant is a very wealthy man, so will not be interested in the implementation of the plan and to increase the percentage of sales. The obvious purpose of employment – communication, the ability to "walk" their outfits to meet the communication needs.
- The candidate will bring discord into our established, friendly female staff. Envy is the factor that destroys relationships, and this candidate will be the envy of all!
- You decided to go to the interview in his usual suit and shoes "every day", not bringing them in proper form. Public transport several times stepped on the foot and tore a button from his jacket. Desired position: chief accountant.
The findings of the employer:
- Candidate looks very untidy: rumpled suit, buttons torn off, dirty shoes. It is likely that it is not accuracy. So, we expect errors in the documents are not timely delivered reports, problems with the IRS.
- The candidate does not understand how to be the accountant for our solid company.
- Probably a candidate too commends itself as a specialist if he found it possible to ignore the dress code. So, will qualify for a higher salary.
Thus, we see that a small misstep by the candidate creates a lot of negative conclusions about it from the employer. Keep this in mind.
3. Not to be able to listen and speak in a timely manner.
Machinery of negotiation (and the interview is the discussion deserves a separate article, and I'm not going to reveal in detail here about this topic. In the framework of this material will emphasize only the main points.
If a candidate most of the time is silent, answers the questions concisely, tersely, the employer makes the following conclusions:
- The candidate is hiding something, withholding information, "canny".
- The candidate is introverted, reticent man, with him will be uncomfortable to work with.
- The candidate is full of hidden complexes and personal problems; such employees in the us company is not required.
If a candidate says a lot of unnecessary details, "goes into the "jungle", too often uses the pronoun "I", the employer may decide the following:
- The candidate thinks only of himself, focused only on their own interests and desires.
- A candidate tries to manipulate me by using NLP techniques, leads away from the direct question.
- The candidate likes to hear himself talk and not too apparently clever.
The most obvious conclusion, which should be done by the applicant is: active listening skills and negotiation is the right assistants, not only in the process of interviewing, but in life in General.
4. Don't know about the company – employer.
This mistake is made mostly by those candidates who post their resumes rolling method. Accordingly, the offers they received from a variety of companies.
Often, having received several invitations, the candidates begin to go to job interviews, relying only on luck and luck, expressing their demands and wishes and absolutely knowing nothing about the employer, its needs and problems. This is fundamentally the wrong approach, doomed to failure.
If the applicant fails to substantiate their choice and to answer the question, why is he interested in this company, the employer makes the following conclusions:
- The applicant does not matter where to work. His only care about their own interests.
- If present, the age of the media and the Internet, the applicant had not found the opportunity to learn about the company – so his ability is far from high.
- Perhaps the candidate does not consider our job seriously, came in for an interview just try your luck – and suddenly get?
If this happens, you really managed to learn about the company –employer is very small, but you still decided to try their hand at the interview, you should take the initiative in their hands and ask the recruiter to tell you about this organization. This will demonstrate an interest in the company and jobs. But, of course, it is best to prepare in advance and be clear what organization you are going to work.
5. Not to be able to present themselves.
This error is directly related to the previous one. If you don't know anything about the company – employer, on what she aims, what problems need the most, you will be very difficult to prove that you are the one that is required in this organization.
The art of self-presentation is difficult in itself, without reference to the employer. Between excessive boasting and excessive modesty is a fine line, it should be able to find. And the interview is important not just to emphasize your strengths, but also to show how they will advance the company – employer.
Any commercial organization, regardless of ownership, shall be created and operated for profit. Perhaps there are other, higher goals, as a rule, they are reflected in the mission and values of the company, but the profit is the main goal of commercial activity. All tasks, complexity, problem areas of the organization, leading to lower profits, solved with the help of hired personnel, ultimately, should be eliminated. Your task is to show that you are able to do it.
During the interview, the employer there should be no doubt in your abilities and capabilities. Otherwise, he will make only one conclusion: "This candidate does not suit us!"
6. "Fail" on the case studies and tests.
Cases, that is, situational problems, and different tests, revealing the identity of the candidate, is very popular in HR. In large companies they have become part of a structured interview with applicant.
To the passage of these jobs should be prepared as seriously as the rest of the stages of the interview. At the present time quite a lot of such information in the public domain; you can buy special books, manuals, work out in the on-line testing.
If the candidate passes the case with negative results (which may be due to only the effect of surprise and excitement), the employer decides about its low suitability. Naturally, such an applicant will be denied employment.
7. Not to be able to make a good impression.
According to many authoritative authors, 55% of communication is transmitted on a visual level. Have a value of gestures (hands), foot position, body position in space, facial expressions (facial expression), eye contact, interpersonal distance, and overall appearance.
The acoustic part of communication is, in turn, rate of speech, tone of voice, articulation, intonation, complexity of the used turns of speech.
Big mistake not to take into account all these factors. If you confidently talk about their achievements in the previous job, but the voice, posture, gestures and facial expressions contradict words, the employer will make the only conclusion: "No way!"
8. To fear, to demonstrate the lack of stress.
Is not a secret that for most candidates the interview is a lot of stress. Of course, if you do not have a strong psychological resistance, then show yourself in the best light would be extremely difficult. And the employer, noticing your excitement, can doubt either the veracity of your answers, or even in your potential to handle the upcoming work.
What will help you to demonstrate the ability to handle stress?
- First, the workout: before you interview for a company that truly interests you, you should work out with a friend or HR-rum, or with a personal career coach. If this is not possible, go through several interviews to be less interesting for you companies. Although this method I recommend in extreme cases. Having no real desire to find a job in these companies, you are just stealing the time of their employees, and it is not very ethical.
- Second, samonastroj: to create the right infusion of calm, confidence, and victory will help the most different techniques, from proper breathing to visualization.
- Third, if you are not able to cope with strong emotion, you can take a mild sedative. The main thing – that it did not affect the speed of your reactions and the quality of thinking.
9. Don't ask "right" questions.
Often, answering the questions of the recruiter, the candidate happily takes the spirit and rushing in a hurry to leave the office, when they ought to relax and start to ask questions. First, so you can really get the important, meaningful information about the company and their possible positions. Secondly, to produce additional impact.
What issues should be considered "correct?" Those that will demonstrate your expertise in employment and focus on productive work. For example:
- How does the process work in the organization? Under the labor contract, labor book, something else? (It is possible to register the job as an individual entrepreneur, the conclusion with them civil-law contracts, etc.) - What is the duration of the probationary period? - What are the expectations of the employer after the probationary period? - Based on what criteria is the wage from which it depends? - How many people will be in your submission if you are applying for a leadership position? Etc.
The wrong questions:
- on vacation; - sick leave; - time off; - on benefits, compensation, etc.
Of course, this information is also necessary to possess, but to concentrate exclusively on such issues is unacceptable as they will form the employer's negative perceptions about you. It would be correct to ask them then in the personnel Department.
10. To prepare recommendations and references.
If your candidate is interested in the employer, it is natural that he wants to get recommendations about you from previous employers. In my experience, many applicants find it difficult to provide recommendations and data references. This is a big mistake, like providing false information.
Recruiters and HR-ry always check the quality of advice and asked many "tricky" questions about the candidate. Therefore, the employee from whom you want to see positive recommendations should be well prepared for the upcoming conversation.
In this you can help a friend HR specialist or a personal career coach.
So we looked at the 10 surefire ways to fail the interview. Don't make these mistakes, and your odds of the occupation vacancies will increase significantly!