- 2 kg of smelt;
- 500 ml milk (3.2% fat);
- 1 piece of onion;
- 10 peas of any pepper;
- 1 leaf Lavrushka;
- salt is fine.
- Before cooking the fish should be cleaned, cut off the head, all the fins and tail, remove the innards, clean off the black film on the inner walls of the abdomen. From head to hook the ridge with the tip of a knife and carefully separated from the carcass. The end result is almost fillet of smelt. Rinse under cold running water.
- Chop the onion half-rings or large cubes.
- In a deep pan, pour a little milk so that it covered up the bottom and lay the first layer of fillets of smelt.
- Next you need salt, a little pepper and put a piece of onion. Layers will be a few.
- Then another fish and onions, also put Bay leaf and pepper peas (it can be black and white, and red). Then again a layer of fish and onions. So it will be until then, until all the smelt.
- Pour the milk the fish in the pan, the top layer was hidden.
- Put the pan with the fish on a high heat, wait for the contents to boil, then close tightly with a lid and simmer until tender (on low heat) for about an hour. During this time, the smelt is cooked completely, and the rest of her little bones softened to such a state, when they are very soft and unnoticeable when chewed.
The recipe doesn't use a drop of oil, it is not necessary, in a pan with enough water to fish is not burnt. Serve the dish with garnish or without it. During the process of cooking the milk slightly thickens, it can be used as a sauce for fish. Soaked in milk smelt will have a slightly sweet taste.